Friday, January 6, 2012

Jane Sewmore

Many people name their cars, and nobody thinks they are crazy.  So, why  not name my sewing machine, right?  I have never been one to name items that are inanimate, but I felt the need to this time.  Well, I take that back, I did name my first car.  She was a white GrandAm named Sarah Lee.  I'm not sure where the name came from, but it just got in my head and stuck.  So, she was called Sarah Lee up until the day that I traded her in, with absolutely no remorse, for a shiny, new Honda Civic.  I'm very sentimental, but Sarah Lee smelled to high heavens in the summer, thanks to a drunk friend who mistook SL's center console for a porcelain god and christened her as such.  Imagine how yummy it was to ride in her after that when temps here reached the mid-90's.  So, as soon as opportunity knocked, I answered the door and gave ole Sarah Lee the boot.

Okay, I'm getting off subject here.  I was to discuss Jane Sewmore.  Who is she?  Why do you care?  I will tell you.  She is a wonderful refurbished Janome sewing machine that I ordered online last week.  Her coming has been in the works for a while now.  But, I honestly thought that I was going to wind-up spending hundreds of dollars on a new machine.  Imagine my excitement when I discovered that I could buy a simple, yet reliable, sewing machine for well under a hundred dollars.  I couldn't wait to get my hands on her.  The anticipation was killing me.  She sat in a UPS facility from Dec 30 until Jan 3.   I know, because I tracked her every day, sometimes more than once a day.  She arrived yesterday in the midst of the doggy mess I was cleaning, and the angels sang.  I needed to name her.  My rainbow among the dark clouds of naughty pets.  But what name should she have?  It had to be special.  I thought Jan or Jane, because after all, she is a Janome.  But, would that be too boring?  Then it came to me...

I watch the Tudors on BBC America religiously.  I dvr that baby and watch it as soon as I can rush my children upstairs.  There is a Jane in that tragedy.  And, she didn't lose her head, as a couple of Henry VIII's multiple wives did.  Her name was Jane Seymour, and she brought Henry his most cherished joy, his only son.  I anticipate Jane Sewmore bringing me great joy, not as much joy as a child can bring, but joy none the less.  Jane Seymour was Henry VIII's third wife.  As fate would have it, Jane Sewmore is my third sewing machine.  It's as if it was meant to be.  With a little play of words, I came up with my homage to the Tudors and a perfect name for my treasure. 

I hope to post pics of the treasure that Jane and I create together, as soon as I figure out that part of blogging.  Seem you soon!  Da-har, da-har!

No comments:

Post a Comment